Welcome!

I'm so glad you stopped by. Whatcha see is whatcha get. I value your comments! Together we can be great.

Friday, January 6, 2012

50 Weeks of Purging Week 1: Kitchen Cupboards

I shall be RUTHLESS.
I shall take no prisoners.

These are the "rules":

1.  You must LOVE it.
or
2.  You must USE it.
or
3. You must RE-PURPOSE it.
or
IT GOES.
Right now.
Do not put it in a box, bag, or pile
to give to goodwill/Salvation Army, etc.
unless you are giving it to your sister, who lives next door 
and you can and WILL walk it right over after your session.

I know I am going to get flack for this, but
I know myself and that well-meaning box, bag, or pile
will remain in my house 
FOR MONTHS,
most likely directly in front of the door
so I don't "forget" it...
until it somehow gets unpacked and ends up right back in my kitchen.

DON'T LAUGH
IT HAS HAPPENED
(I have a husband, you know!)

If I LOVE it, but don't use it
it stands to reason I
need to find a way to 
reuse it somewhere else.

Why don't I use it?
Is it broke?
Fragile?
Too Expensive?

TOSS IT!

If there is one thing I can't stand,
it's stuff in my house that 
doesn't do SOMETHING.  

Now, if I don't particularly LOVE
something but use it all the time
(or at least predictably - like
the china I use for special occasions)
It's a keeper.

HOWEVER,
I need to investigate further.
Should I love it?
Why don't I love it?
Can I replace it with something I DO love?
This could be tricky
because,
FOR EXAMPLE,

I do not love my silverware.
I am thankful that it is there.
I use it multiple times a day.
But silverware isn't my thing.
I am not getting rid of my silverware.
I am highly unlikely to find silverware that I LOVE.
I'm keeping the silverware anyway.

If I don't LOVE it
and
I don't USE it
but
still can't bring myself to toss it,
can I at least put it to work somewhere else?
And this means
immediately.
Not "well, with a coat of paint"
or 
"if we just did X, Y, or Z"
because
I know myself and it will just clutter up
a completely different area waiting to be 
"perfected"

NO WAY
NO HOW
AIN'T DOING IT THIS YEAR!

Example:
I have this random canning jar
that floats around from place to place
and is currently not working in the kitchen.
(This is purely fictitious. A situation like this
would NEVER occur in my house.  I LOVE
canning jars!)

I could plop it in the bathroom and use it for:
cotton balls
q-tips
tampons
combs
toothbrushes
toothpaste
and the list goes on
(probably because I love canning jars!)

Got it?
Okay, so you have this week to 
go through every nook and cranny
of your kitchen cupboards.

YOU CAN DO THIS.

No comments:

Post a Comment