Welcome!

I'm so glad you stopped by. Whatcha see is whatcha get. I value your comments! Together we can be great.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Book Review: Healing Is A Choice

Book Review:

HEALING IS A CHOICE
By
Stephen Arterburn



     I found this wonderful website called Booksneeze.com.  In all fairness, my hubby found it and thought of me...and I was hooked.  That man is so smart!  ANY WHO...from what I gather, they send me books to review and I read them and review them and it is a very happy relationship.  This is my first review, so we'll see how it goes.

     To be honest, I initially avoided reading this book.  I received it from Booksneeze.com and was kind of regretting my choice.  Upon reading the introduction I was thinking that maybe I didn’t need to heal and therefore, would get nothing out of this book.  About halfway through the first chapter, I came to understand that although I have not been wounded emotionally and don’t need help healing in that aspect, it WILL come in handy for me to counsel others who DO need to heal.  I like the way the book is set up.  Each chapter starts with a choice that we all have to make, followed by a lie that we all tend to believe that keeps us from making that choice.  Arterburn includes plenty of real-life examples to make his point.  There is also a workbook component added into this particular edition, and both the book and the workbook are formatted to be used personally or as a group study.  In an effort to be completely honest, I skipped over the workbook pages simply so I could review this in a timely manner, but I fully intend to go back again after the new year and work through the workbook page by page.  He has a lot of good questions and scripture verses to study in here.  Bottom line:  I really think Arterburn has excellent information in this book for those who need to heal AND for loved ones who want to help those who need to heal.  It think it is a book that anyone who counsels people should keep as a reference.

     Frankly, I can't wait until I have the time to go through the workbook question by question.  There are a ton of scripture verses I really want to dig into, but I just am being stretched too thinly right now to give it my full attention.  I laugh at myself each time I finish a chapter because I initially avoided reading it for a FULL WEEK after I got it.  Then I read the intro...and felt even LESS willing to read it.  I mean, I have had my share of very minor emotional burns.  You can't get through this life without them.  But the book seems to be more for people who have been abused or suffered MAJOR emotional upheaval.  But as I said, I think the book will come in handy at some point in my life.  I mean, my parents and close friends and family are all still alive.  Eventually, I am going to have to deal with the inevitable...and I feel this book will definitely help with that.  The only thing that maybe creeps me out about this book is this:  in my own personal experience, God tends to provide for my needs...ahead of time.  For example, three years ago, I got an envelope in the mail with $300.00 in it around this time of year.  It was a gift from dear friends...and it was something I totally didn't need at the time!  I was literally wracking my brain trying to figure out what God wanted me to do with this money.  lol. (such problems, I know)  Well, approximately one week later my Grandfather died unexpectedly.  He lived in WI.  We lived in PA.  That unexpected $300.00 got us to the funeral and [mostly] back (it's a long story!).
     I know I could think of at least two other examples in my life like this...later.
     But you see my point....what is He preparing me for?  Whatever it is, I plan to read this book asking God the entire time what He needs me to learn because he is good to prepare me in this way!
     So if you would like to have this book as a reference, I completely recommend it.  Everyone should have a copy on the shelf.  Obviously, if you need to figure out what steps you need to take to recover and heal from major emotional trauma, this book is also for you.  You can find it right here.

Just Amy

     

No comments:

Post a Comment